Thursday, April 12, 2012

Book Club

That's right, folks. The book club is back on!

About a year ago, my friend Alyssa and I started a 2-person book club, mostly because we're both book nerds, and it would give us an excuse to hang out more often.  We had other people join for a meeting or two, but in the end it remained just a 2-friends-reading-the-same-book kind of deal, and it got us through the summer.  At some point, school, life, and work got in the way, so the book club was put on hiatus, and ever since then, I've missed our meetings.

Fast forward to today.  Alyssa and I met up for coffee, and pretty much the first things we said to each other were "I just read this book that was so good.  You have to read it and tell me what you think."  Just like that, the book club is now back in session! I'm so freakin' excited!

We decided that we are each going to read the other person's suggestion, and our meeting (in 2 weeks or so) will cover both books.  Then we'll decide what to read for next time. 


Alyssa's suggestion for me is The Stone Diaries by Carol Shields. When I browsed the back of this book at the library earlier today, I was surprised to find out it had won the Pulitzer. One of my life-long goals is to read all the Pulitzer winners and all the Booker Prize winners, so I'm always glad to find out that what I'm reading won one of those.













My suggestion for her is Turn of Mind by Alice LaPlante. This is a recent favorite of mine told from the point of view of a woman suffering from dementia. Her best friend has been murdered, and she is the prime suspect, but she doesn't remember if she did it. It is brilliantly written, and I'm so excited for Alyssa to read it, so we can talk about it!












Has anyone else read either of these books?  You should...and then tell me what you think!

3 comments:

  1. Okay Hannah, I want to be in book club, too! I will read both of these books (Auntie's is on speed dial at my house). When and where is the meeting?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't figured out this comments thing yet, but this post and the above post are from Mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Thanks, Mom. Of course you can be in our book club. We haven't set an official date/time for the next meeting. Just roughly in 2 weeks, when we've both read the books :-)

      Delete